scoil aiseiri chriost

Img Header

Our Story

A Brief History:

Scoil Aiséirí Chríost is situated on the North Side of Cork City in a place called Farranree. The name Farranree comes from the Irish words Fearran Rí, which means “The Land of the King”.


Cork Corporation had begun to develop many housing schemes in the area, which was then known as Spangle Hill. The need for a primary school was clear. Land on which to build the school was purchased in an area called “The Closes”. This area was near the top of Popham’s Road and was at the time just green fields and ditches with no roads.


Frank Murphy, a past pupil of North Presentation was given the architect’s job and PJ Hegarty was appointed the building contractor.


Scoil Aiséirí Chríost is a Presentation School founded by the Sisters of the North Presentation Convent in Gerald Griffin Street. The pioneers were Srs. Lelia, Dominic, Francis, Teresa, Carmel, Eucharia and deLourdes with Mother Lelia as Principal. The Regina Coeli Convent attached to the school was built in 1960.


Scoil Aiséirí Chríost first opened its doors to the children of Farranree in June 1959. The school hall was built in 1960. The school originally catered for both boys and girls. In 1959 424 pupils were on roll with 9 classes of girls and 4 classes of boys. Scoil Íosagáin was built in 1966 and the boys transferred to the new boys school.

In 1967 Scoil Aiséirí Chríost was divided into a Junior and Senior school. In 1979 the Junior and Senior schools became two separate full range primary school called Scoil A and Scoil B. In 1995 Scoil Aiséirí Chríost opened an Early Start Pre School catering for both boys and girls. In 1996 Scoil A and Scoil B amalgamated with Sr. Perpetua O’ Mahony as principal.



Scoil Aiseírí Chríost Principal Timeline.


1959-1962   Sr. Lelia Muphy  & Sr. Carmel Broderick.

1962-1968   Sr. Brendan O’Brien

1962-1967 Sr. Agnes O’Regan

1967   Sr. Eucharia Buckley

1968-1979   Sr. Francis Lynch

1967-1972   Sr. Bernadette O’Connell

1979-1989   Sr. de Pazzi Finn

1972-1979 Sr. Marie O’Keeffe

1979-1989   Sr.Catherine Fenton

1989-1996   Ms Carmel O’Donovan

1989-2002  Sr. Perpetua O’Mahony

2002-2010   Mrs Breege O’Shea

2010-2022 Mrs Teresa O’Sullivan

2022- Present Mrs Rachel Uí Fhlannabhra


Rachel Uí FhlannabhraPrincipal

Deirdre ScullyDeputy Principal

Nora DoolanChairperson BOM


scoil aiseiri chriost